Friday, September 2, 2022

Thoughts on Story Workshop: A Year of Story


 It was the night before the last day of kindergarten. I laid out their writing folders, and sorted through all of the stories and the writing. I made note of each student, and how much they wrote. Some wrote a lot, some didn't write very much. Some wrote books, and some wrote notes. Some were neat, making sure every letter was neat and every tree had just enough leaves. Some were messy, so many thoughts to get out, and not enough time to be exact! Some were complete, and some had multiple stories on the go. But, you know what? We all wrote. We all proved we were writers. 

I was proud of the work we did last year. We started with a brand new idea for me- Story Workshop, and built upon it, to make it our own. It was a work in progress. There were a few zigs and zags, but, in the end, as always, we made it. We all had stories to tell and share.

It is the start of a new year, and a new crew to work through Story Workshop. I am excited. I am excited to build on what I learned last year, and excited to see where this group takes it. It's hard to think about setting up the space for story when you haven't really met the soul of the room yet- the children. But I think, and I plan, and I read to find ways to help facilitate their journey.

I may not know everything about this upcoming year, yet. But I do know one thing- by June we will all be storytellers and writers. Now it's time to begin that journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment