Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Just Checking In



 "Just checking in..." 

I would get those messages from my first college roommate every so often when my father was dying. He was in Illinois and I was in Prince Edward Island, unable to go because of Covid restrictions. Just a quick message to let me know she was thinking of me, and there if I needed her. It was all I needed, though I didn't understand how much at the time. 

Losing a parent is never easy, losing a parent while living thousands of miles away and unable to be there is indescribable. It's hard to imagine that the next time I go home, he won't be there. He will never be there again. So, I try not to think about that. I feel like my grief is on hold, though it pops in and out at really weird and unexpected times (like driving down the road on the way to work).

Luckily though, I have good people in my corner. I know I am loved by so many, and so many prop me up on those less than lovely days. I have people checking in on me. Now, it's my turn. One of my friends is going through the same thing, saying that long goodbye to their beloved father. So, this morning, I sent that message, "Just checking in..."

How about you? Anyone you could send that message? Three simple words that can mean the world to someone. Three simple words that give someone the time and space to talk, to sigh, to say thank you, to know that they have someone in their corner. Just three simple words that can change someone's life. 

Just checking in...



1 comment:

  1. What a tender and beautiful message, Carrie. Thank you for sharing from your heart.

    ReplyDelete