Sunday, July 4, 2021

On this July 4th

Went for a run today. Drove 3 days, woke up, and ran in a July 4th 8K race. It's somewhat of a tradition for me, if I'm in IL on the 4th- because I'm a little crazy like that. But it's a fun race, and I love to see all of the people with their red white and blue tutu's, sparkly headbands, clothes, etc. Today I even saw a woman dressed like Lady Liberty and running with her torch. It's one of those times that makes you smile.

I live in Canada, so last summer I was unable to come. The pandemic was at its beginning, and everyone and everything was so confusing. I decided to not make the trip home. I still wrestle with that decision. On the one hand, I don't think there was anything I could do but stay home, honestly. But on the other hand, it was the last summer my father was alive. So I missed that "one more" summer. 

But this year, we drove across the border and made our way to IL. We will have my father's memorial service later on this month, and I am helping my mom pack up to move to a new, more accessible place. It's not really a vacation, though I will have some spots of relief. 

My favorite part of crossing the border? Not the questions, honestly, or the fact that every single border guard always comments on how the initials on the license plate don't match anyone in the car (I live in the smallest province in Canada, we're limited in what we can do, lol). But, it's when they let us go and the last thing they say is, "Welcome Home!" 

America may have its issues, we can all appreciate that. But no matter where I roam, America will always be home.

When I was at the run today, I was struck by something. Here are all of these people, most don't know each other, of all backgrounds. There was a rainbow of skin tones, sizes, hair color, languages, you name it. And there were all kinds of smiles (at the beginning of the run at least- and when we got the post run pancakes). And you know what else? No one knew who you voted for, no one asked, no one cared. No one knew what TV news commentators you listened to, no one talked politics. It's almost as if... it didn't exist!

My point? Maybe we are divided politically. Maybe we disagree on how this country should be run. But also, maybe we aren't as divided as humans as the media and social media makes us believe. I didn't feel unsafe today. I was alone, in a different city, just doing my thing, and not once did I fear that someone would start harassing me about my belief system. It was wonderful. And it got me thinking, why do we allow outside forces to tell us what we should be upset about? Why do we allow others to tell us what someone else thinks or believes? Why do we allow so much hatred into our living rooms and homes? 

We have a new pandemic, one that has been brewing for a long time, but has exploded since the beginning of the Covid 19 pandemic- it's the pandemic of Outrage. Scroll through Facebook or Twitter and you'll see it. Watch cable news (all of it!) and you'll hear it. All of that hate and vitriol. Why do we allow that? Because maybe it's addictive, and we are outrage addicts? And all of these people that spew it, know that. They know you're going to come back each day and night for your "hit" of anger and outrage. And they love it. They love that they can manipulate us and make money off of it! 

I have a prescription for this Outrage. I call it Outrage Detox. Spend a weekend, just 2 or 3 days, offline, and off the TV. Get outside. Go for a walk or hike. Go to a coffee shop- a fancy one, or a mom and pop one, and just observe people. Watch how they smile at one another, how they help each other out. I remember driving through West Virginia a few years ago. We stopped at a Waffle House. It was one of the most inspiring breakfasts I've had- and not because the food was fantastic. But the people who worked there, the regulars who ate there- they were of varied ethnic backgrounds, yet they laughed and joked with each other, treated each other with respect and dignity.

Maybe it's time we do that. Stop complaining about how "those people" are ruining America, and smile at them. Shake a hand. Realize we ALL love America. We may have different ideas about how to run her, but it's a difference of opinion, not the cause for a civil war. 

My challenge to you, on this day of Independence, in the month of July, is this: Stop viewing others as the enemy, and start viewing them as your brother and your sister, your Fellow American's. Stop worrying about what's happening in Washington, and start trying to improve where you are right now. That's how we will change the world. That's the only way we will change the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment