Monday, March 23, 2020

Getting My Teacher Voice On: Talking to You Mom's and Dad's

OK mamma’s and daddy’s, I hope you are doing ok. I hope you are not overwhelmed, and I hope your littles are doing great too! Here, let me give you a hug! 
Ok then, here’s what I’d like us all to do. Turn off the TV and the constant Covid19 updates. Get out some paper, some Lego, some blocks, something! and dump it on the floor or the table. Yes, I said that. Let your littles make a mess! Let them explore, problem solve, and create! Let them do things on their own! As unfortunate as this situation is for most of us, I am choosing to see a silver lining. You see, as a kindergarten teacher, I have a lot of concerns for the children of today. They don’t have a chance to play outside, they don’t have a chance to imagine. So much of their lives are scheduled (and I am laying no blame on anyone other than our society), that they haven’t had the childhood you and I and our parents had. And, because of this, they come into Kindergarten behind. Not academically, but physically. They can’t sit up for long periods of time, they can’t hold crayons, they struggle to literally stand up from sitting on the floor, because they don’t have a chance to build those muscles.
But guess what? This little “break” we’re taking? It’s giving them that chance- if we allow it!
Imagine if you will...35 years from now. We could be raising the most creative generation we’ve seen in a hundred years. You know how we put a man on the moon? Do you think those scientists and engineers spent their early, formative years scheduled to the max? Nope! They spent a lot of time on their own, learning to problem solve, learning to think creatively, learning things no one can teach you, you just have to learn it on your own. And now our kids can have that chance! Now more than ever! 
So, please, stop worrying about their academic education. They will get it! I promise they will! Let them play, mom’s and dad’s! Let them get bored! Let them dream! Let them create, and problem solve, and collaborate! Let them go outside and splash in puddles and climb trees and engage in risky play! Let them get messy and make a mess! 
Let them be the kids they were created to be! And then you can make them clean up their mess when they’re finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment