Thursday, May 3, 2012

Loving the Church


Loving the Church
So, I know the Bible says we are supposed to love the Church as Christ did. But man, She sure doesn’t make it easy! At least the Bride from my neck of the woods (North America), that is. Because lately, I see the Church as more like Hosea’s wife Gomer than I do the beautiful bride of Christ.  I see a people more interested in spreading gossip than they are the Gospel.  I see a people more concerned with their own welfare than that of the poor. I see a people who are more than willing to compromise the biblical truths about unity, love, gossip, lying, etc. as long as they don’t drink, smoke, or swear.  We are more concerned with how we look than how others feel.
But, even as I write these words, I know the truth.  The truth is I am just as guilty, and yet, I still want God to love me and see me as sanctified and pure.  So, in this season (frankly, a season that has lasted about 10 years) of my life, I am once again reminded that I don’t forgive others for their sake, but for mine.  I know my heart and it is black as coal. And when I judge and condemn others, I do it from a hard and rotten heart.
So I ask God for forgiveness of my sin and to teach me to forgive others their sins against me.  Because when it is all said and done, I want to hear, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  When it is all over, I don’t want to have to worry about my own personal vindication. I want to have confidence in my fruit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment